Friday, October 4, 2019

Aureus Academy - Interview with Drum Teacher, Putera

In a blink of the eyes, Emma crossed her 1 year mark in learning drum with Teacher Putera last month!


With just 30 mins drum lesson at Aureus Academy each week and at the very most additional of 15 mins practice at home, I still wondered how did Emma manage to learn drum. I think we spent too little time on it. When we first started, I wasn't sure if we would make it past 6 months. But, to my surprise, Emma's actually progressing well and efficiently under the guidance of Teacher Putera. She finished learning a few songs and performed once at a rectial. She's still working on the various drum beats and how to read the notes. 

I was curious to find out how Teacher Putera helped Emma to learn and did an e-interview with him to find out more! 


How long have you taught drum? And how long have you taught at Aureus Academy?

Throughout my professional career as a performer and educator, I have been teaching music, drum and percussions for about 5 and a half years and i have taught at Aureus Academy for 3 years.

Share about your music journey.

I have always shown a great interest in playing music as a kid. However, i have never got the chance to formally learn about playing and performing music until i was 13 years old. I have always been taking music seriously apart from my academic as a teenager ever since. After i graduated from high school, I got into a music school for my undergraduate studies right away. Since then, I have been performing throughout South East Asia like Myanmar, Singapore, Indonesia, Thailand, Hong Kong and etc. Apart from that, I also got a chance to perform in Europe.

What keeps you going as a drum teacher?

As a drum teacher, I think it is a different kind of satisfaction and experience from performing when i manage to share the knowledge and patience on playing music.

Share your favourite moment as a teacher

As a performer myself, watching my students overcome their fears and gain confidence to perform in front of large audiences has to be my favourite moment!

What's your teaching style?

Every individual has different kind of interest. For me, i always try to find what my students are interested in and apply that in my teaching style to get them going. I believe having fun while learning gives them the chance to play without feeling pressured. 



What's the challenges you faced as a drum teacher?

As mentioned earlier, every individual has a different style, for me as a teacher I have to get to know each and everyone of my students in a short matter of time so that they can progress better.

What you think of Emma?

For about a year of sharing my knowledge with Emma, it is clear that she is one of my most talented student. As a young student, Emma have shown a very positive, exponential growth in playing drum. She also has a great attitude in learning and she always managed to digest the inputs that i gave in lessons very well.

What's one advice to children who learn music instruments?

Always try to find joy in playing music and never give up. Hardwork and determination pays off!!

Dont even start it because it requires great commitment, interest and discipline to persist! Or try it! It's ok even if they don't continue. What's your take?

I always believe if you never try, you never know. Not only in the feel of music but anything that we do in life. Sometimes, we do not even know that we have the talent on something until we experience it for the first time. I always encourage my student to try new things and to never give up on the things that they love.



I totally agreed with Teacher Putera. I'm glad that I took the first step to join performing acts in my younger days. Looking back, I don't know how I danced and sang on stage. But, they were my best childhood memories and definitely made me who I am today. No regrets even though I couldn't dance now anymore. At least, I've the memories to count on! 

I'm not sure if Emma's indeed as talented as Teacher Putera commented. So many drummed so well at the recital! Hubby and I often wondered if it's indeed easy to children to pick up drum or perhaps Emma has some flair in it or Teacher Putera is awesome! I think it might be the latter. Emma loves Teacher Putera and enjoys his lessons. He's patient, fun and teaches in a way that Emma can understand.

Thank you, Teacher Putera and Aureus Academy for bringing music and drum in her life!

Related posts:  

Emma's first drum rectial at Aureus Academy
Emma started drum with Aureus Academy

No comments:

Post a Comment