Friday, July 9, 2021

Journey of Grace II

At 34 years old, I found out from Circledna test that I'm a carrier of pendred syndrome, a genetic disorder that causes early hearing loss in children. 

It wasn't a surprise since both of parents had lost their hearing on one side since young and it's very likely that at least one of my parents have Pendred Syndrome. We were told that they lost their hearing after they fell sick so it never cross my mind that it could be genetic. They rely on one hear and speak in limited dialect since it was obviously hard for them to get by school in the past. 

I always thought it wasn't a wise idea on my grandparents' part to matchmake both of them. They should get someone at least without hearing disabilities to make their life better right? How are they going to take care of 2 children? Whatever can go wrong, could go wrong. And now, we know that their children even have a risk to get pendred syndrome. It was challenging but they hold on to each other and pulled it through together. Looking back, they are made for each other. It's Him who brings my mother all the way from Indonesia to Singapore and matchmake them.  

When I was young, I wish that they could be "normal" and we were more well to do. I wish we would be able to communicate better. But as I grew up, I slowly see how they are fearfully and wonderfully made, and deeply loved by God despite their hearing disabilities. They can't express their love in beautiful words but I could hear their love loud and clear. Life wasn't easy and was very CRAZY at some point of time. But God has been extra gracious and watching over our family.  If it's not by God's protection, my brother and I wouldn't be what we are now.

 
After learning that I'm a carrier of pendred syndrome, I'm even more thankful for God's protection over my brother and I. His love is bigger than I had imagine. He didn't just watch over our family after I got to know him when I was 14 years old. He watched over us before we were born. He watched over my parents when they were young. He blessed me with a husband of good health (at least not another pendred syndrome carrier) and allowed me to bring 2 healthy girls to this world. He loves and watches after us generations after generations. 

I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. - Psalms 139: 14  

 *******


We are all God's wonderful masterpiece. I thank God for loving us. He loves and walks with us through ups and downs even before we know him, when we didn't feel close to him or even run away from him. He will make things beautiful in his time. May the Lord continue to bless us and keep us. 
 
To you who finish this post, thank you for taking your precious time to read this. Before you leave this page, I want you to know that God loves you too and may you get to know him more.

For God so loved the world,
that he gave his only Son,
that whoever believes in him
should not perish but have eternal life.
- John 3:16

All in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment